When left untreated, damp turns into mould and mould can release poisonous spores into the air which can cause respiratory problems, allergies, asthma and damage to the immune system. At Croft Preservation, our team is determined to help protect all our customers from the effects of damp and, as our head offices are based there, damp proofing Poole is of top priority.
Millennials at heightened asthma risk due to damp housing
According to a new report published by Asthma UK, people aged between 18-29 are more likely to suffer an asthma attack, largely due to the deteriorating quality of housing.
Living with damp and mould key factors for risk increase
Asthma UK surveyed 10,000 millennials with asthma and came to the conclusion that people aged between 18-29 are twice as likely to be hospitalised for their condition than those in their 60’s. The struggle to find good quality housing free from damp problems and mould has been listed as one of the key reasons for the increase, according to specialists at the research charity.
There is plenty of evidence available to suggest that mould spores have a particularly detrimental affect on those suffering with asthma, and high housing and rent prices mean that an increasing number of young people are not living in suitable living conditions, or able to afford the costs to fix damp.
Apathy and difficulty seeing a GP also to blame
Alongside living with potential damp problems, Asthma UK also found that 12% of asthma sufferers surveyed said that their local GP was too busy to see them, whilst 28% admitted that they did not attend their asthma review – almost 6/10 said that they never received a reminder that their review was even due.
The survey also highlighted that 67% of those surveyed were not receiving basic asthma care, whilst 88% admitted to having symptoms of uncontrolled asthma that affected daily activities or sleeping.
Director of research and policy at Asthma UK, Dr Samantha Walker, said: “Millenials are getting a raw deal, with the worst asthma care of any age group. As a result, thousands needed emergency care for their asthma lat year and were at a reisk of dying from an asthma attack.
“This could be avoided if they received the basic care they should be getting and if they were better engaged to manage their own health.”
Don't put your health at risk by living in a damp property. Even if you don't suffer from asthma, mould spores present a serious health hazard that should not be ignored. We are your local damp specialists in Dorset & Hampshire, offering effective damp treatment to clients across Poole, Bournemouth, Southampton and the surrounding areas. Contact us today on 01202 737739.